Resources in Response to COVID-19
The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development is here for you.
Our staff is here to support undergraduate students from every college pursuing any career path. Among several continuing efforts, we have implemented two brand new forms of services to further ensure students are able to connect with our staff and resources. Read below for more information.
NEW WAYS TO GET CONNECTED WITH THE CENTER FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT
Online Request Form
Students are now able to request a number of our services and gain insight into how to get help while we are operating in a virtual model. Click here to get connected to the following topics:
- How to reach us for quick questions
- Schedule a one-on-one virtual career counseling appointment
- Submit your resume for review
- Schedule a virtual mock interview
- Build out your network while you are away from campus
- Find internships and full-time job opportunities
- Start the career development process
We hope that this new self-service tool will get you connected to many of our resources and remain in touch with our staff. If you have any suggestions for feedback, please let us know.
Live Chat Service
A live chat service is now available Monday-Friday from 1:00 - 4:00PM (eastern daylight time). This service will provide you a quick way to ask questions. This is not an automated chat service – our staff will actively manage the chat and refer students to appropriate resources. See below for the chat window.
Many of the resources we have previously offered students remain available virtually!
We will continue to offer events and workshops in a virtual format utilizing Zoom. A list of upcoming sessions is available on the Events feature in Handshake.
One-on-One Counseling Appointments
Individual appointments with our career counselors are available via Zoom. Schedule an appointment through the Career Center feature in Handshake.
HIGHLIGHT OF EXISTING RESOURCES
Many of the resources we have offered students in the past can be accessed online, particularly job boards.
Handshake is the centralized career platform utilized by the Center for Career Development. The site offers:
- Access to personalized job recommendations – This is based on your field of study, career interests, and profile information such as skills and experiences.
- Ability to schedule one–on-one consulting appointments – Our dynamic scheduling tool connects you with your program's designated consultant. All appointments are scheduled via Zoom.
- Ability to research employers – Handshake offers convenient access to a directory of employers from across the country.
- Connect with students across the country – Students can interact with their peers through messaging, get tips and advice, as well as network.
- Search for and apply to open positions – Handshake offers a number of opportunities for students seeking industry positions in particular fields. (note: Handshake should not be the only site you utilize to find job opportunities – see our Job Boards page for more resources).
Online Job Boards
Students are encouraged to utilize a variety of online resources to search for opportunities. Our Job and Internship Database page provides convenient access to dozens of websites you can access for free.
Virtual Interview Resources
Most employers have transitioned to virtual interviews. Preparing can help build confidence leading up to the interview day. The following resources on our Interview page are available to help with preparation:
- STAR Method - Utilize this technique to tailor your interview responses to describe experiences in relationship to the skills and qualifications the organization is seeking.
- Big Interview - Notre Dame provides students free access to this online resource to practice answering interview questions. This program also provides the capability to review and improve your responses.
- Schedule a mock interview - Practice your skills with one of our career counselors!
Our talented team is available to support you with all aspects of your career development. Whether you are preparing for an interview, negotiating an offer, researching employers, learning how to network, updating your resume, or figuring out how to leverage your talents in a meaningful career, we are here to help.
Here are three ways you can request assistance from our staff:
- Call us at 574-631-5200, Monday - Friday, 8AM-5PM EDT
- We offer a live chat on our Virtual and Online Resource page Monday - Friday, 1PM - 4PM EDT.
- You are welcome to email us anytime at email@example.com. Please know our staff checks email Monday - Friday, 8AM-5PM.
Haven't met with us yet? We can make a difference. Here's what students have said after meeting with our staff:
"The counselor was great! She was very helpful, clearly had a mastery of the resources, and was honest/passionate about the work."
"The counselor was fantastic and very patient as I rambled about my various career goals. I appreciate her listening and feedback."
"The counselor would make sure that she was addressing my needs of the appointment each time. Was great!"
"My meeting was very insightful and helped set up a short term plan of action with easy-to-follow steps."
"The counselor was fantastic and extremely helpful."
"I was blown away by how helpful it was. I had no idea what to do in my career search (which was pretty stressful being a senior and it being 4 days before the career fair), but I'm much more confident in my understanding of my interests now and I know what to do at the career fair!"
"If you think you don't have options, visit the career center!"
"I cannot thank the counselor enough for his help during our session. He not only provided me with insight about the company and industry I was going to interview with in the upcoming week but also was so supportive and encouraging. I went into the interview feeling confident about my abilities and I ended up getting the job!"
"The counselor was willing to help, easy to talk to, and overall I thought the appointment was very helpful!"
"The staff was amazing! Super helpful."
"The counselor was incredibly helpful and attentive to my particular needs!"
"The counselor has been extremely helpful with helping me reflect on my career goals and interests and then helping me plan my next steps to a point where I feel more comfortable thinking about my future after graduation."