Consider your brand
Your online profiles (including social media) paint a picture of who an employer is recruiting.
Align Your Online Presence with Your Personal Brand
Employers use online platforms such as Handshake and LinkedIn to target applicants and learn more about them. LinkedIn is a great resource for connecting with alumni and recruiters. With the potential that recruiters may come across your profile it's important to make sure your social media presence is professional and targeted.
A thorough profile on Handshake. This includes:
- Education: List both your major and minor(s)
- Experiences: Internships, campus jobs
- Extra-Curricular Involvement: All clubs, organizations, and residence hall committee involvement
- Skills: Take the time to add all words which accurately reflect the skills you have developed.
Building an effective LinkedIn profile takes time. Before connecting with professionals, take time to complete the following steps:
- Add a profile photo
- List all previous jobs or positions held, along with descriptions of each role - use your resume as a reference!
- Include 5 or more skills
- Write a summary about yourself
- Fill out your industry and ZIP code
- Add relevant Notre Dame major and/or minors to your "Education" section
Videos: Rock Your LinkedIn Profile, provided by LinkedIn
Social Media Considerations
Many recruiters and employers browse social media sites for candidates. Red flags include:
- Illegal activity (alcohol, drugs, etc.)