Our Career Treks take students into the heart of industries, exposing them to real-world careers. Through Career Treks, students have the opportunity to travel to explore and gain insight into their career fields of interest. These unique, immersive experiences provide a behind the scenes look for students to engage with an organization, learn about various career paths, meet with Notre Dame alumni, and make professional connections.
Expand the buttons below to learn about past career treks and the experiences of students who participated in them. The Meruelo Family Center for Career Development offers several different types of opportunities for exploration through day treks (one day) and semester break treks (three to four days). An application is required to participate in a Career Trek.
Up-coming Career Treks
• Please check back at a later date for Spring semester Career Treks.
Past Career Treks
Public Policy Career Trek 2019 - October 21-23, Washington, D.C.
Students explored several organizations over fall break in Washington, D.C., and networked with a large number of Notre Dame alumni. During their time there they learned how industries connect, overlap, and are distinct from one another. This year, 10 students participated in the trek.
- Blog Posts - Zach Holland, '22
- Search for Common Ground
- Atlantic Council
- Avascent Group
- Leadership Conference for Civil and Human Rights
- Hamilton Place Strategies
- US State Department, Bureau of Conflict and stabilization Operations
- Refugee Processing Center
- “Prior to going on the trek, I didn’t really have a clear idea of where I would like to go after graduating from Notre Dame. However, this career trek demonstrated to me that there are far more paths and opportunities available than I had ever thought, and I think that being able to have this experience relatively early on in my college career will be extremely useful to me as I continue on with the rest of my undergraduate degree.”
- Shea Smith, '22
Nonprofits Career Trek 2019 - March 25, Chicago, Illinois
- Blog Posts - Colin Mackey, '20, Anika Khemani, '21, Emma Ziegler, '21
- Heartland Alliance
- Illinois Policy Institute
- American Center Society
- “I am happy to have received the experience and knowledge from going into the offices talking to employees – hear what they love about their places of work, what skills and experiences they bring to the table, and to see the personal impact working in the nonprofit sector has had on each of them as well.”
- Colin Mackey, '20
Entertainment and Media Career Trek 2019 - March 10-14, Los Angeles, CA
30+ LA based Notre dame alumni met with students to educate them about making the transition out to Los Angeles, how to develop connections in the industry, and inform them about varied career paths in the entertainment and media industry. Outside of organization visits, students also participated in a young alumni dinner, a creative dinner with alumni, a panel discussion, and a pitch opportunity with alums.
- Blog Posts - Ellie O'Brien, '21 & Laine Davison, '22
- Charmed, The CW Writers Room
- ABC Studios and The Walt Disney Co.
- NBC Universal
- Fox Studios
- Management 360
“The trek was the first time I realized that it’s actually possible to take the leap and move to LA to pursue my dreams. It was inspiring in a way I really can’t describe. To know that there is a growing Notre Dame community in LA and a network of people ready to help was so comforting. I have pages and pages of notes and contacts, and I am so appreciative for how much I know it will help me in the future! Before the trek, I really didn’t know much about how the industry works. The trek was like a massive crash course on the industry and I learned so, so much that I don’t think would be possible anywhere else. I simply can’t put into words how grateful I am for that experience.”
- Katie Mullane, '21
Aerospace Career Trek 2019 - March 11-14, Los Angeles, CA
This past semester was the first year for students to participate in the Aerospace Career Trek. Students gain exposure to the many career paths available within the industry, learn first-hand the importance of networking, and are able to see the innovation and the technology that is being used to protect our country and push limits in space exploration. Six students participated in the trek.
- Blog Posts - Ryan Dixon, '19
- The Boring Company
- Northrop Grumman
- Virgin Hyperloop One
“This experience was particularly valuable. Not only did it grant further exposure to trends in the evolution of the aerospace and defense industry, it also showed another side of the industry as a whole in the role of a technology integrator which values ingenuity in how resources are used to create efficient, effective solutions.”
- Ryan Dixon, '19
Sports Career Trek 2019 - March 18, Chicago, Illinois
- Blog Posts - Brendan Brady, '21
- Chicago Bulls
- Chicago Blackhawks
“The Chicago Sports Trek was an amazing opportunity that helped all of us gain connections within the organizations and also provided us with the potential to acquire internships. Our leaders, Ali Hart and James Biddick, did a tremendous job of preparing us for the trek and scheduling the events so that we could truly see everything the industry has to offer. tHe other students and I walked away ecstatic and we cannot thank Notre Dame and the Center for Career Development enough for providing us the opportunity to potentially gain positions in our dream industries!”
- Brendan Brady, '21