Digital Technology is the ability to leverage current and emerging digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals. The individual demonstrates effective adaptability to new and emerging technologies. Digital technologies are any devices and resources that generate, store or process data.
Assessing Your Level of Competency
This is the time to really reflect on yourself and where you are at with this competency. Ask yourself the following questions to dive deep into your self-assessment:
- Can I follow along in class with the technology I'm using?
- Do others in my classes seem to have more knowledge than me?
- Are others in my classes able to get work done more quickly and efficiently using technology?
- Do I think first, how can I do this more efficiently with a technology tool, or do I just address projects as I always have?
- Do I want to put the time in to learn and become proficient with technology?
- What technologies should I know to help me succeed in my career path?
Building Your Level of Competency
Build on your level of this competency through the following:
- Take additional coursework in Microsoft and/or advanced computer programs.
- Find ways to utilize and incorporate using technologies in your assignments, campus activities, organizations.
- Take an online course to learn a computer language.
- Sign up for one of Notre Dame’s OIT IT courses - all students are welcome. If 5 or more students would like a certain course, the department will set up a special time for them that fits their schedule!
- Subscribe to technical sites/magazines.
- Join technology based clubs on campus - Computer Club, CS for Good, etc.
- Ask other students about technologies they use and determine which ones you need to develop.
Communicate this Competency
There are many opportunities to communicate your experience with digital technology to others; through your resume, cover letters, interviewing, 30-second professional introduction, networking, etc.
Consider first any opportunities you have had to utilize these digital technology skills:
|Accounting||Adapt to new and emerging technologies||Maintain a budget|
|Code||Visualize and communicate data||Estimate|
|Engage in financial planning||Forecast||Identify trends|
|Leverage technology ethically||Compute mathematically||Utilize scientific methodology|
|Perform specific lab skills/ techniques||Utilize specific software programs||Analyze system|
|use databases and/or spreadsheets||Use statistical methods||Use statistics|
Then start with statements like the samples below to build upon:
- Provide networking/desktop support and perform mainframe and account-maintenance tasks. Earned commendations for teamwork, flexibility and work excellence in providing IT support to students and faculty.
- Exceeded issue-resolution targets and achieved exemplary customer satisfaction scores, consistently scoring between 95% and 100% on all calls (outperforming average of 90%).
- Redesigned Internet and intranet pages. Used SEO best practices to optimize Web site for search engine rankings and improved functionality of company database.
- Handled database and Web site programming tasks (primarily using Java, C, C++, HTML and SharePoint), working an average of 15 hours per week while maintaining a 3.5 GPA.
- Developed Python unit tests to help increase test coverage on Rhumbix’s web application and implemented various Python features to be a part of the Django back end of the web application.
- Engaged in technical training exercises to gain a better understanding of Django and Python testing as well as practical training to learn the software development cycle and practices used by Rhumbix.
- Developed the back-end infrastructure needed to implement email verification, including MySQL database schema updates and stored procedures, and two new API endpoints written in C# to create and verify email verification tokens for a given user.
- Used C++ to update two energy code compliance documents generated by Right-Suite Universal so that the documents would be accurate, up to date, and aesthetically pleasing.
Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool
Download the Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool one time from the main Career Competencies webpage, and utilize one document to track the development of all your competencies.