The ability to successfully build & maintain collaborative relationships to work effectively together as a team through shared responsibility, respect, & empathy to complete a shared goal for a common good.
Assessing Your Level of Competency
This is the time to really reflect on yourself and where you are at with this competency. Ask yourself the following questions to dive deep into your self-assessment:
- Am I a good listener to others on my team?
- Am I comfortable sharing my point of view in a team setting?
- Do I let others share their point of view and accept and understand them?
- Do I know how to keep up my end of the work when working on a team?
- Am I willing to help other members with their work even if it makes more work for me?
- Do I ensure that my work is done in the timeline assigned?
Building Your Level of Competency
Build on your level of this competency through the following:
- Volunteer to serve on a team in your dorm and support the other members for the betterment of your dorm.
- Join a student group on campus and ensure that you are contributing to the success of that group.
- Pitch in when you see others struggling with a project or task.
- Support the leader of your team through offering to help and assisting others.
- Welcome new members to a group or team through support and introducing to others.
- Be accountable for all tasks and duties assigned to you on a team. Ensure you complete them on time and to the full expectation of completion.
- Have a positive attitude, contributing solutions and ideas to the team rather than criticism and negativity.
Communicating This Competency
There are many opportunities to communicate your ability to work on a team and collaborate with others; through your resume, cover letters, interviewing, 30-second professional introduction, networking, etc.
Consider first any opportunities you have had to utilize these teamwork/collaboration skills:
|Manage conflict||Encourage others||Facilitate group process|
|Form good rapport||Handle problems/complaints||Help others|
|Listen well||Mediate||Provide instruction/input|
|Provide services||Relate well to others||Reliable|
Then start with statements like the samples below to build upon:
- Awards or recognition you've received.
- Specific teamwork examples of actions you have taken as a team member and the successful outcome.
- List of your teamwork qualities (ie. active listener, honesty, responsible).
- Share how you've helped a team grown and progress through constructive contributions.
- Explain how you helped a team that wasn't accomplishing their goals get back on track.
- Discuss how you supported other employees accomplish their tasks in addition to your own.
Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool
Download the Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool one time from the main Career Competencies webpage, and utilize one document to track the development of all your competencies.