Work Ethic/Professionalism demonstrates integrity, resilience, accountability and ethical behavior. It's the ability to take initiative, maintain effective work habits (prioritize, plan and manage work; punctuality) to produce high quality results. With this competency, once should project a professional presence and understand the impact of non-verbal communication.
Assessing Your Level of Competency
This is the time to really reflect on yourself and where you are at with this competency. Ask yourself the following questions to dive deep into your self-assessment:
- Am I aware of my personal branding?
- Do I have an understanding of business etiquette?
- Am I aware of professional dress requirements?
- Do I have a professional resume completed?
- Do I know how to write professional job search correspondences?
- Do I have quality professional references?
- Is my social media presence (e.g., LinkedIn, Handshake) professional or do I need to reassess my online presence?
- Am I capable of a salary negotiation and understanding salary packages?
- Am I prepared for the transition from from college to my first post-graduate destination?
- Do I understand how to navigate workplace politics?
- Do I have professional mentor(s)?
Building Your Level of Competency
Build on your level of this competency through the following:
- Use a planner or calendar to prioritize work/assignments and meet deadlines in your courses.
- Reflect on a recent challenge and identify areas of growth and improvement for the future. Review with your rector or a favorite professor.
- Review your social media through the eyes of a future employer and determine appropriateness. Have it reviewed at the Center for Career Development.
- Demonstrate personal accountability and integrity.
- Present yourself as a polished professional. Observe those at a level or two above you during an internship, or young professionals you meet.
- Contribute in a positive manner.
- Learn from your mistakes and own up to them.
- Keep your personal life private in your work environment.
- Volunteer in a capacity where you can use your skills and expertise. There are so many opportunities for this at ND.
- Say yes to relevant opportunities.
- Ask one question in every class and/or at every meeting you attend.
Communicate this Competency
There are many opportunities to communicate your work ethic and professionalism to others; through your resume, cover letters, interviewing, 30-second professional introduction, networking, etc. Consider first any opportunities you have utlized ethics and professionalism:
|Accept responsibility for behaviors and actions||Anticipate problems||Assure quality|
|Demonstrate values||Follow a schedule||Execute projects|
|Follow through||Function well under stress||Honest|
|Possess integrity||Manage time well||Plan effectively|
|Punctual||Respond appropriately||Set goals and priorities|
Then start with statements like the samples below to build upon
- Resume: Include any professional certifications you many have, and any professional organizations you may belong to (SWE, NABA, ALPFA, etc.).
- Cover Letter: demonstrate how you have grown professionally through continuous study and participation.
- Interviews: Be able to articulate your knowledge about the industry, organization, and recent trends or innovations.
- Elevator Pitch: Prepare and be able to demonstrate your professional expertise. The pitch is more about thoughtfully and clearly demonstrating the connection between where you are currently and the professional direction you are heading or the position you are seeking.
- Internships: Show concern about professional improvement; quality of work reflects your professional standards; maintain high standards of professional conduct.
- Class Projects: Strive to grow professionally through continuous study and participation; display industriousness, conscientiousness and diligence in course work and projects.
- Service: Demonstrate civic engagement and concern for the well-being of other community members.
- Student Organizations: Demonstrate your involvement and an exceptional mastery of professional skills.
Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool
Download the Career Ready Competency Tracking Tool one time from the main Career Competencies webpage, and utilize one document to track the development of all your competencies.