The Notre Dame Way
The Notre Dame Way
Take what you have learned here at Notre Dame and let it enable you to go forth and do good. Always be as generous as you can with your time, talent and all you have. In your family life, your professional life and your spiritual life, every day of your life, never forget that your charge as Notre Dame graduates is to be a force for good in the world. - Fr. John Jenkins
Assessing Your Level of Competency
This is the time to really reflect on yourself and where you are at with this competency. Ask yourself the following questions to dive deep into your self-assessment:
- Have I found ways to contribute to the betterment of Notre Dame?
- Have I supported other students at Notre Dame that needed assistance in some way?
- What service groups have I joined while at Notre Dame?
- Can I set a specific number of hours a week that I will make sure I am helping others?
- How can I provide a supportive environment in my internship with other interns?
- Am I taking initiative in my campus job?
- What classes, events, lectures, activities have I engaged in to expand my world view?
Building Your Level of Competency
Build on your level of this competency through the following:
- Provide support and assistance to a fellow intern in completing a project on time.
- Graduate students participate in the Leadership Advancing Socially Engaged Research (LASER) program.
- Support a classmate who is struggling to learn a challenging course concept.
- Conduct your job search following the guidelines in the ethical job search policy (e.g. withdrawing from other applications after accepting an offer).
- Discuss with a religious leader ways to impact your community.
Communicate this Competency
There are many opportunities to communicate the Notre Dame Way to others; through your resume, cover letters, interviewing, 30-second professional introduction, networking, etc. Start with statements like the samples below to build upon:
Example: Reduced paper towel usage and waste in the residence hall by 75% through an awareness campaign.
Competency Tracking Sheet
To help you properly think about each skill, how to build them, and how to articulate them, utilize the Competency Tracking sheet. The document is to be used throughout your review of all the competencies.
If you have already downloaded the Competency Tracking Sheet from the main Core Competencies webpage, continue to work from that document. If you haven't already downloaded the CompetencyTracking Sheet, please do so through the button below.