Summer Funding Program
SUMMER FUNDING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2023 WILL BE LIVE JANUARY 1, 2023
Please be advised that students participating in summer experiences do so at their own risk. Students are advised to evaluate health and safety conditions with any summer experience, particularly related to COVID-19. Funding support through the University does not constitute endorsement of the health and safety conditions at a particular location.
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
- Funds are intended to support food, transportation, and housing expenses incurred as a result of accepting an experience.
- Only qualifying experiences will be considered for funding support.
- Each funding application is reviewed by the committee and selected recipients are sponsored through one of the program funds. Students only need to complete one application.
- Funds are primarily for unpaid experiences, yet paid experiences with expenses that exceed income will be considered.
- Preference will be given to students eligible for financial aid and unpaid interns.
- Funding is not guaranteed for any applicants.
- The maximum number of students that can be supported at any organization is 3.
- Summer 2023 Application deadline is April 7, 2023
- Funding recipients will be notified within two weeks after submission.
- A Funding Completion Report and survey response is REQUIRED OF ALL RECIPIENTS and will be due by August 1, 2023. A reminder email will be provided mid-summer.
ELIGIBILITY AND STEPS TO APPLY
- Funds are provided to help undergraduate students break even with their summer experience (i.e. support for your housing, food, and transportation associated with your participation in the internship).
- Applicants must be returning to Notre Dame following their experience to complete their undergraduate degree.
- Applicants must have an internship/research offer that is relevant to their post-graduate career goals when submitting the funding application. Funding decisions are based upon the experience in which you are participating.
- Volunteer programs or internships set up by a third-party program fees are not eligible to receive funding.
- Internship/research duties must be consistent with the student’s level of education, related to their area of study and consistent with their post-graduate career plans.
- Employment must be on a full-time basis (typically 25-40 hours per week for at least 6 weeks or longer).
All funds are to cover food, transportation, and housing expenses incurred during your participation in the internship.
- Unpaid interns are typically eligible to receive up to $3,500 (a $3,500 award amount is based on an 8-week internship experience; shorter experiences will be prorated). Note: unpaid experiences where the employer provides a small stipend, up to $500 per month, will be considered “unpaid” for the purposes of this funding program.
- Paid interns are eligible to receive up to $1,000.
- If you find that you are ineligible for the Career Development Summer Funding Program, you may be interested in considering one of the many grants and/or funding options at Notre Dame. Follow this link to learn more.
Steps to Apply
- Confirm Eligibility by reviewing the above stated eligibility requirements.
- Read – The Tax Implications Letter explains how receipt of this award may affect your taxes
- Complete and submit THIS ONLINE APPLICATION.
- Personal Statement Video – record 1 response via Big Interview and paste the response recording url link into application
- Internship Information – basic information about the internship
- Waiver and Program Guidelines – agree to the policies of the Career Development Summer Funding Program throughout the internship
- Expense Sheet – Use the expense sheet in the application format to itemize weekly anticipated food, housing, and transportation expenses
- Employer Documentation - An uploaded email or document stating you have the offer, the dates of the experience, the pay, title, and duties.
Recipients of Financial Aid – All applicants receiving financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid to confirm that these funds will not have any possible impact on their financial aid package. We consider funding students regardless of the support level financial aid provides.
Applicants will be selected based on the following:
- Quality of the experience as related to the applicant's career goals
- Quality and thorough due diligence when completing all aspects of the application
- Students who are eligible to receive financial aid also will receive preference
- The review committees take into consideration if an applicant has previously received funding
FUNDING PROGRAM GUIDELINES
Timing and Allocation of Funds
- Funding awards are allocated in a lump sum amount via direct deposit, and distributed around Finals Week in the Spring. Abroad students will work with the Career Development Summer Funding Team to determine receipt options.
- A student submits only one application per summer, and the Review Committee considers them for all funds they are eligible for up to the maximum award amount. Fund selection is at the discretion of the Review Committee based on fund restrictions.
- Students must note on their application if they are applying for additional funding through other Notre Dame resources. If other campus sources select a student for an award that is equal or greater than the maximum award from the Career Development Summer Funding Program, then the student must withdraw their application. Failure to notify the Funding Team of other funding awards or applications to campus sources results in automatic disqualification from that funding award cycle.
Use of Funds
- Awards are for food, transportation, and housing costs incurred as a result of participating in an eligible internship/research opportunity. The award is not a supplement for an internship salary or service to Notre Dame. Any internship employment issues are between the student and their internship employer, not the student and Notre Dame. Similarly, any funding questions must be directed to the Career Development Summer Funding Program Team and not the student’s employer.
- The Career Development Summer Funding Program does not cover or reimburse program fees or interview travel expenses. If program costs are bundled for an experience, an itemized cost sheet must be attached to the funding application.
- Typically rent paid to a family member is not eligible. It must be an extenuating circumstance and explained in detail or it will not be considered as a viable expense for funding support.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Career Development Summer Funding Team and return unused money either from incompletion of the agreed internship or if there are leftover funds due to budget and expenditure differences.
- Each award is to support the specific experience outlined in the application. If a student changes their internship, a new application will be submitted
International Internship Resources
Any student receiving financial or programmatic support from Notre Dame must complete the International Travel Registry through Notre Dame International and attend a Heath and Safety Summit. Here are additional Notre Dame websites and information to consider addressing before traveling abroad:
- Review these resources provided by Notre Dame International
- All University funded students are required to have insurance coverage. See details linked here.
- When traveling abroad make sure you have addressed any health issues by visiting the Notre Dame Travel Abroad Nurse at University Health Services. Click here to make an appointment or learn more.
- When accepting an international internship, it is your responsibility to ensure that you have addressed all VISA and Work Authorization requirements with your prospective employer and applicable government agencies
- For additional insights into understanding different cultures and living abroad please visit NDI's resources here
- During: Represent Notre Dame by engaging in the internship at the highest level of performance and follow student conduct guidelines as written in du Lac.
- Post-internship: Complete the Funding Completion Report
The University and the Center for Career Development Funding Program may add to, delete or amend these policies at any time. Any updates will be posted on The Center for Career Development website and it is the applicant’s responsibility to review changes at this location.
Funds Supporting the Career Development Funding Program
Thank you to all our benefactors who make this funding program possible for undergraduate students:
- Archer Family Endowment for Undergraduate Internships: supporting undergraduate students participating in summer internships - provided through the generosity of the Archer Family
- Arts and Letters Summer Internship Program: supporting students in the College of Arts and Letters participating in summer internships- provided through the generosity of the Aviles, McGlinn Shields, Rogers, Schlehuber, and Smetana Families
- Class of 2009 Senior Legacy Unpaid Internship Fund: supporting students with an unpaid internship - gifted by the Class of 2009 Senior Class Legacy Gift
- DeSalvo Family Undergraduate Internship Fund: supporting students participating in a summer internship - provided through the generosity of the DeSalvo family
- Moynihan Catholic Charities Intern Fund: supporting students who intern at Catholic Charities USA - provided through the generosity of the Moynihan Family
- Notre Dame California Internship Fund: supporting undergraduate students interning in California - provided through the generosity of a Notre Dame alumnus
- Student Athlete Summer Career Experience Funds: supporting student athletes participating in a summer experience - provided through the generosity of the Brumm, Gluck, Graham, Murphy, and Rask families
Each funding application is reviewed by the committee and selected recipients are sponsored through one of the above funds. A student only needs to apply with one application to be considered for all qualified funds.
The University and the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development reserves the right to modify the Career Development Summer Funding Program requirements and policies at any time. Any updates will be posted on this webpage and it is the applicant's responsibility to review this site for changes.
Hear about Pedro's Funding experience: