The Regional Engagement Team, currently based in California, DC, and Houston, is a growing team of professionals which will expand to strategic industry markets in the coming years.
Regional Engagement Managers lead the Meruelo Family Center for Career Development’s efforts in cultivating relationships with recruiters, industry professionals, and alumni to advance placement of Notre Dame students into top tier internships and full-time positions.
Managers also work directly with students to increase awareness, student applications, and acceptance into internships and full-time jobs. Managers help educate students on available opportunities as well as recruiting cycles and key recruiting information.
For students interested in a particular location, utilizing the seven step process helps our staff target specific employers in industries our students are interested in and present them with opportunities and connections.
Regional Engagement Process:
1. Sign up for regional opportunity updates
- We have team members physically based in CA, DC, and Houston building relationships with alumni and employers to help students connect with internship and new grad opportunities.
- If you would like to get notified of opportunities in these areas, and if you would like your resume shared with our alumni and recruiting contacts, fill out this link http://careerdevelopment.nd.edu/regional-signup.
- Location specific resources: California, DC, Houston .
2. Explore our career development resources
- Career Development Guide: Starter guide for developing the knowledge and skills needed through your career development process.
- ND PathwayU - Explore your values, interests, personality, and workplace preferences (available to all students).
- Explore our Career Paths website and join a career community! Use helpful databases to research industries & organizations.
- Attend events to explore your interests and engage with employers.
- Get involved with unique programs we offer!
- View stats and outcomes to learn about how other students have utilized our services.
- Resources for: Diversity & Inclusion, First Generation, International Students, Student Athletes
- Looking for additional support? Schedule an appointment with a career counselor
- Follow us on Social Media! Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
3. Polish your resume
- Look at our tips on Writing your resume.
- Looking for feedback on your resume? Find feedback for your resume here!
4. Set up your Handshake account
- Build your Handshake Profile - Here is a quick video to learn how!
- Handshake profile checklist
- As your interests change, update your industry and location interests.
- Make sure you have your primary resume set to visible (documents -> click visible). Very important!
5. Network, network, network
- Building your brand and networking
- Network with Notre Dame alumni and recruiters who are at the companies you want to work at. Build your network early, so when a job opens later you already have internal contacts who are willing to help you. Find these alumni and recruiters by using LinkedIn, IrishCompass (alumni), Handshake (recruiters), and use Career Shift to get their work email addresses. You can also get their personal email through the ND Alumni Directory.
- IrishCompass is also a great platform if you are looking for an alumni mentor!
- 70% of jobs are found through networking!
6. Apply to jobs
- Handshake - click “jobs” and utilize the filters based on your interests. Add the “NDSupport” label to your job search to view opportunities that our team is sourcing. When you apply to these opportunities with the “NDSupport” label, your resume is getting sent directly to our alumni and/or recruiting contacts.
- Job and Internship Databases
- Map your internship & Job Search
- Tailor your resume to the job posting before you apply. Recruiters only spend 6 seconds on your resume, so make it easy for the recruiter to identify you as a potential candidate for the role.
- Interviewing and Job Offer Evaluations
- Mock Interviews - Practice Interviewing!
- Post Interview Follow Up
7. Update your support network when you land a job or internship
- Let us know where you will be this summer! We will keep you updated on summer programming and networking connections with local alumni and other ND students.
- Update your Handshake profile to indicate you are no longer seeking.
- Send thank you emails to your network of individuals who helped you through the career development process.
- Summer Funding